Friday, May 22, 2009

Interpreter of Maladies

Interpreter of Maladies pg. 47 and 48

We are in the car on the way to the next stop of our tour of India!

“Monkeys!” Ronny shrieked. “Wow!”           

Finally something exciting is happening on this trip! I lean over my mom and look out the window to get a better look, and all these groups of monkeys are hanging on the trees!

“We call them hanuman,” Mr. Kapasi says. “There are quite common in the area.”

All of the sudden one monkeys jumps in front of the car and the screeches to a stop! I almost fly into the seat in front of me. Then another monkey jumps on the hood of the car, I look out excitedly! I can’t believe that monkeys are actually allowed to roam alone; I thought they were only in zoos! I don’t think Mr. Kapasi likes them very much because he is honking his horn and yelling at them to get out of the way. Then my dad asks if he can get out and take some pictures. Mr. Kapasi unlocks the car and my dad gets out. The rest of us stay in the car. My mom doesn’t really like animals that much so she starts to paint her nails. I love getting my nails done!

“Mine too. Mommy, do mine too.” 

“Leave me alone,” she says.

I don’t know why she is being so mean. I decide to get out my doll and start playing with her outfit; I like the buttons on her pinafore the best! 

"All set," my dad says as he comes back into the car. 

Finally we start to drive again! The road is very bumpy and I keep popping out of my seat. It feels like a ride at an amusement park!

3 comments:

  1. I also did the Interpreter of Maladies change for point of view. It is good the way you did your changes to first person. It is interesting to hear the point of view from one of the children in this story versus, the adults. This is a point of view that isn't present in a lot of the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like this point of view better then the point of view in the book. Personally, first person to me is always the easiest point of view for me to understand. For this story it makes it better because since it is first person it make the reader feel like they are there, seeing the monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a funny page to change to a different person perspective because of the monkeys. From this Point of view for the girl was very intriguing because you learn a lot about the family and the characterization of them. From this perspective I get the feeling that she is a neglected child. But that’s just because you are such a good writer.

    ReplyDelete