Thursday, May 7, 2009

Theme #7:RD

So as I was looking through my writer’s notebook I realized that I didn’t really write about anything too important. Mostly I complained. I complained about writing the journal entries, and I complained about Mr. Juliani’s class, also I complained about school in general. So I thought I would take this opportunity to complain a little more.

I think that Mr. Juliani’s class has been a great learning experience for me in the way that I have definitely learned I do not like analyzing poems and quotes that I personally feel do not need to be analyzed. Sometimes people just say what they mean, and there is nothing else to it. Yes, people can talk about what they said and debate about what the hidden meaning could be, but what’s the point; you will never know what they really did mean unless you personally ask them.

Another thing I learned from Mr. Juliani’s class was that I am not a good writer. I have tried very hard on many of my papers and yet they all seem to come back with C’s as a grade. I no longer fight him with these grades but just except the fact that language arts is not my subject and am not a great writer.

The next thing I learned from Mr. Juliani was that I am a very slow writer. Despite how long he said our tests should take, I would never finish. I have not finished one of Mr. Juliani’s test this year, and do not plan on it. I write as fast as I can and usually know most of the answers but cannot figure out a way to get all my thoughts down in forty minutes. Most people in the class find a way to finish, which must mean that I am a slow writer.

Mr. Juliani’s class has also allowed me to learn that I am not very creative. With all the different projects and free writes and fun activities we have done in his class, mine have all been boring. I always thought that some cool, creative idea would come to me, but none ever did. No matter how much I thought about it, my ideas were always kind of boring.

The next thing I learned from Mr. Juliani’s class was that there are two types of reading, the first I was always aware of, just reading to read. But the second kind of reading also included interpreting. I was never aware that interpretation of every character’s actions was an expected thing to do when reading. But the tests and discussions on the book were never about what happened in the book, they were always about the interpretations of the characters and their actions. I learned very quickly that simply reading was not enough.

Mr. Juliani also likes to change his requirements for projects and due dates a lot, which I think isn’t fair. I am not usually the type of person who does things in advance but the few times I went out of my way to do so for Mr. Juliani’s class I ended up having to change something, or the due date was changed and I would’ve had more time. This has taught me that waiting till the last minute to do things is actually better.

And the last thing that I am going to complain about is the word requirements for our blogs. First of all, I do not think that Mr. Juliani really counts all the words or reads everyone’s blogs, but I still try to make them the correct amount of words. I do not see how making word requirements helps my writing in any way. I always thought writing was not supposed to be forced. For example right now, I would be done this paper but it was not long enough so I decided to add this paragraph. I was wrong about most other things and apparently this one too.

So Mr. Juliani’s class has been quite the experience for me so far this year and I cannot wait to see what is still coming. I guess I have actually gotten a lot of information out of this class whether I enjoyed it or not. And I am sure I will one day be thanking you Mr. Juliani for teaching me all that you have.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of your arguments and understand where your coming from in most of your complaints. I think that you are a good writer and you shouldn't discourage yourself because I don't think that your a slow reader and writer! haha well anyways your paper is very organized and that is a big FCA and you have a very organized structure to your paper. This is definitely an important quality to have in your writing and can is definitely closely looked at when the theme readers and Mr. Juliani are reading your themes. I also think that it was good that you wrote about your complaints and things that you were unhappy with in the course because when Mr. Juliani reads this, he will get to see your opinion and maybe change his curiculum a little bit for next years classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I think it is a really good idea that you decided to write about complaints. Your paper is obviously well organized. You organized your paper in all of the different things that you have learned, and the complaints you have that go with it. I understand what you are saying because, this class has helped you realize what you need to work on but at the same time, and you want to get better not keep receiving the same grade. Your paper has a clear and consistent focus, of complaining about what you have learned but not necessarily liked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only thing i can say to this is that it is very harsh! You brought up many aspects of this class that i feel many of us cant deny that we complained about this year. You backed up your complaints very well and your paragrpahs were very well organized. I have to disagree that you always get Cs on your papers. As for as i am concerned you always get better grades on your papers than i do. But im sure yourll get an A on this one!! it was very well organized and well written. But well have to wait to see if the "professional" likes it!

    ReplyDelete